Thursday, November 15, 2012

Mrs Webb - Our Town (Thorton Wilder)

I don't know why on earth I should be crying. I suppose there's nothing to cry about. It came over me at breakfast this morning; there was Emily eating her breakfast as she's done for seventeen years and now she's going off to eat it in somebody else's house. I suppose that's it. 
And Emily! She suddenly said: I can't eat another mouthful, and she put her head down on the table and she cried.
Oh, I've got to say it: you know, there's something downright cruel about sending our girls out into marriage this way. I hope some of her girl friends have told her a thing or two. It's cruel, I know, but I couldn't bring myself to say anything. I went into it blind as a bat myself. The whole world's wrong, that's what's the matter. There they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment